06 December, 2021

The WA athlete of the year etc. awards

World Athletics announced their 2020 awards and as is becoming customary by now I missed the women winner. Over the last five years (since I am publishing my year's best list) only once have I correctly predicted the female winner. Well, at least I am doing a good job predicting the male one.


So this year's ceremony crowned E. Thompson-Herah and K. Warholm. I had bet 60 to 40 in favour of S. McLaughlin versus Thompson but the World Athletics panel decided otherwise. Mind you, Thompson is an excellent choice: she was the only one who could have beaten McLaughlin but still I am favouring the latter. K. Warholm was my choice, with only R. Crouser being able to challenge him. Both dominated their discipline and broke a work record but I guess Warholm's is more impressive, dipping under the 46 s barrier, while Crouser's record above 23.37 m was, well, incremental.

There was no doubt whatsoever concerning the rising stars. Athing Mu


and Erriyon Knighton


were indisputably above the competition.

There was also no doubt as to who would win the photograph of the year award. You can see the winning photo of Ryan Pierse in a previous post of mine.


What I did particularly like was the Inspiration Award shared by the two high jump winners M. Barshim and G. Tamberi.


Their decision to share the gold medal was a unique act of respect, friendship and sportsmanship. I had a special mention of them in my year's best list and I am particularly happy that World Athletics decided to reward them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment