20 February, 2020

Is this site dead?

I know, I shouldn't have used this title. When a site stops updating, this is a bad sign. Sometimes it may mean that something bad happened to its curator. When this is the case, using a title like the one of this post is politically incorrect. But on the other hand, the title means what is says, so...

I am talking here about the site maintained by P. Larsson and which is devoted to the all-time athletics performances. It has literally thousands of performances and is a real treasure-trove for athletics' fans. Curiously I have never given a link to that site in my blog. 



The bad news is that since the end of October the site is not updated any more. I tried to find a reference to Peter Larsson on the web, one related to athletics, but without success. Given the regularity with which he was updating his site, the fact that he has been silent for more than three months is a bad omen. And once a site is not maintained any more its days are counted. This may take months or years but at some point the entire site disappears. Fearing this, I did, as a preventive measure, download the whole site. This is dead-easy given the simple text-based structure of the site. So the archives are secure with me although I am perfectly aware that they will become outdated really fast.



Clicking on everything that was active on Larsson's page I ended up on the Trackinsun blog. And I must admit that I felt a bit ashamed. That blog gives results, in almost real time, of athletics performances from all over the world. And they have been doing this for the past ten years. And I was ignoring its very existence! How can one consider oneself an athletics fan and have spurned (albeit involuntarily) such a great athletics results' site? Well, now, along with myself, you know of its existence. So do not forget to bookmark the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment