03 August, 2018

On the road to Tokyo: where are the mixed relays?

Some time back I wrote about the 4x400 m mixed relay being included in the program of the next Olympics. Those who follow my blog know that I am a fan of mixed relays. And I rejoiced when I learnt that the mixed 4x400 m will be part of the olympic track and field program



A few days ago the qualification system for athletics for the 2020, Tokyo, Olympics was published. And, as expected the mixed relay does appear there. The eligibility for the Olympics (only 16 teams will be participating, as is by now customary for major championships) is not very complicated. 

The first 8 national relay teams of the 2019, Doha, World Championships will automatically qualify for the relay events at the 2020 Olympic Games.  The remaining 8 teams will be selected based on the World Top Lists. The positions will be calculated from the sum of the two fastest times achieved. (There is a small catch here, since it is made clear that for the results to be valid for qualification purposes, a minimum of two different international teams, representing at least two countries, must compete in the race).

The way I am seeing this national teams should start preparing for this mixed relay event. Still the 2018 season is moving gradually toward its end and there hasn't been a single mixed relay race (that I know of) since the 2017 World Relays in Nassau. 

Why isn't there a mixed relay in the 2018 European Championships? (And the same question could be repeated for the African and Central American-Caribbean Championships which are being held at this moment). How can teams prepare for this new and exciting event? One would have expected the IAAF to be the driving force behind this new event. Unfortunately time passes and nothing happens. I just cross my fingers for this rare innovation in the track and field domain not to fizzle out.

PS When I was looking for an olympic rings logo to illustrate my article I stumbled upon the one above made of macaroons and I could not resist the temptation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment