13 March, 2020

A very sad moment

The flying steeplechaser is no more.

Giorgos Papavasileiou the legendary steeple champion passed away on March 12th. He was 90 years old. I had the privilege to meet him, thanks to my friend Costas Tsagkarakis, when I was preparing the article of my blog devoted to this unique athlete.


He was not flying only over the hurdles but in cross country as well

I have been an admirer of Papavasileiou since I started interesting myself in athletics. Nobody before or after him had his technique over the river obstacle, which he managed to pass without getting his feet wet. When I was attending competitions in the Panathenaic Stadium I was always choosing my place so as to be close to the river obstacle just to be able to admire G. Papavasileiou. 

Greek athletics is poorer after his demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment