17 July, 2023

I couldn't resist the temptation

I was visiting the World Athletics page where the Szekesfehervar Continental Tour Gold, to be held on July 18, was announced. And since I try to follow the meetings on the World Athletics YouTube channel (a vpn is often needed) I scrolled down on the page and there I was surprised. Let me explain.

When opening the page on the Szekesfehervar meeting one, is greeted by a photo of various world champions who will be present in Hungary. And most prominent, in the center of the photo, is Shericka Jackson, who has the world leading 100 m time this year with 10.65 s.


But then, when one scrolls down on the page, one finds the very same photo with one (major) change: Shericka Jackson is replaced by Sha'Carri Richardson. The photo is used in announcing the livestream of the competition on the World Athletics YouTube channel. 


I must say that I was surprised by the switch between the two sprint superstars. But then I got it. In a great race during the Diamond League meeting, held on July 16 in Silesia, Richardson beat Jackson,  10.76 to 10.78 s, in a race decided in the last few meters.

So the World Athletics staff decided that the sprint queen of the moment was Richardson and, in an act reminiscent of the stalinian photo retouching, they evicted Shericka and replaced her by Sha'Carri. When I saw this I felt that I had absolutely to share it with you. As to who is the sprint queen, I'm afraid that we'll have to wait till the World Championships of Budapest in order to know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment