06 October, 2021

The blog is eight years old

One more year went by. After the disastrous 2020 (athletically speaking and otherwise), 2021 was a definite improvement. First, the Tokyo Olympics took place. It was a close thing. Just three months before the opening ceremony I published an article entitled "Tokyo Olympics: will they, won't they?". At that moment the opposition to the Games was mounting in Japan, the local government was criminally delaying the implementation of an efficient vaccination strategy and it looked as if the Games were going to be scraped.  Finally the obstacles were lifted and the Games could take place. (In some future post I will write about the uselessness of the Olympic Games, but this is not the right moment).

The athletics in the Games (they were the only sport I followed) were fabulous. I really did appreciate a lot the competitions and I am sure the athletes did also enjoy participating. 


World Athletics made a great effort to maintain the Diamond League circuit and they did succeed. The only thing I deplore is that, in order to rake in as much money as possible, World Athletics is selling the tv right to the various private channels and there is no way to watch the Diamond League competitions unless you decide to pay dearly for this (which I don't). 

The blog fared particularly well this year, toping 1000 visits every month with a peak at 3000 during the Olympics. It has by now become a tradition for me to choose a theme on which to write a series of articles. This year I decided to tell the story of the difficulties women had faced before being accepted in the international sports community. The series started in May with the introductory article "Women and the Olympics" and went on from there. Articles of the series are regularly appearing and I expect to complete it before the end of the year. If the question of women athletics (and women sports in general) does interest you I suggest that you track down my published articles and look out for the new ones that will be appearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment