27 November, 2020

The finalists for the athlete of the year

World Athletics published the list of five finalists for the Athlete of the Year 2020 title. The five women finalists are 

Letesenbet Gidey (ETH)

Sifan Hassan (NED)

Peres Jepchirchir (KEN)

Yulimar Rojas (VEN)

Elaine Thompson-Herah (JAM)

When the list of ten appeared I made a prediction concerning the possible finalists. There was no discussion whatsoever about the first three and I predicted, correctly, that Rojas would be among the finalists. I gave Yeshaneh as fifth due to the fact that she had established a world record (and perhaps as attonement for having keft her out of my top list). Finally it was Thompson who was chosen, not an unwarranted choice but, clearly there since the list must contain five names.

For the men finalists we have

Joshua Cheptegei (UGA)

Ryan Crouser (USA)

Mondo Duplantis (SWE)

Johannes Vetter (GER)

Karsten Warholm (NOR)


The four names to appear in the list were a no-brainer and WA chose to add Grouser to the lot (while I had chosen Kiplimo).

This year WA did not publish a rising stars list of five. For the male rising star I believe that Kiplimo is clearly dominating and will clinch the tilte. However the things are not so clear for women. I guess that we'll have to wait till December 5 for the final announcement. I am quite confident about my choice of Duplantis for the men's title and I think that women's title will be decided between Hassan and Jepchirchir, but one never knows. After all, two years ago I was really surprised by the choice of C. Ibargüen (but I hasten to add that that was a very nice surprise).

No comments:

Post a Comment