24 November, 2019

The winners are here

The end-of-year gala of WA took place yesterday and the winners of the various categories were announced. I am very glad because the ones who were at the top of my list were the ones who won the title.



There was no doubt that D. Muhammad was going to prevail in the women's category. Two world records and a world title had put her above everyone else. And I must add that, while I do like a lot S. McLaughlin, when I see them running side by side I must admit that Muhammad has a far better technique. McLaughlin is stronger and as she is younger the future is hers, but for the time being Muhammad is the best female low-hurdler.


E. Kipchoge won the athlete of the year title for a second year in a row. His sub-2 marathon is such an iconic performance that he was the obvious choice for the title. And since there have been precedents of athletes winning back to back titles I was rather confident in my choice. (This year he did not attend the gala and he accepted his prize through videoconference). 



Y. Mahuchikh won the female rising star title as I predicted. And in fact, she had won also the european title a few weeks back. Her nomination was a rare occasion to see the WA vice-president in an official photo. Why do I have the impression that S. Bubka is not on excellent terms with sir Sebastian?


The men's rising star award went to S. Barega. As you may remember my preference went to N. Kaul who won the european rising star title. However the WA have different criteria and thus Kaul could not make the list. Once I saw the five finalists I expressed the hope that J. Ingebrigtsen could obtain the title as a consolation for an excellent year spoiled by a below-par championship. But this was a vain wish. And in fact it is funny to remark that the title went to Barega who won the silver medal and not to Girma who lost the gold medal on the finish line. (In the photo above Barega is receiving his prize by none other than H. El Guerrouj).



There was no surprise for the fair play award. B.S. Dabo, from Guinea-Bissau won the title for having helped his fellow runner J. Busby from Aruba to reach the finish line in the heats of the 5000 m. I stand by my (positive) comments in my championships report.



The photograph of the year went to a photo of S.A. Fraser-Pryce jubilant at the finish of her 100 m. It is definitely not my choice. I prefer and by far the photo of Patrick Smith which shows P. Frederick of Antigua competing in the high jump final at the Lima, 2019, Pan American Games.



And one last thing. You have to give it to Sir Sebastian, tradition is a very important thing and he is very careful about that. This year he organised a ceremony in honour of  the best milers, going back to R. Bannister (who passed away last year and was represented by his daughters). It was a great occasion to see again, side by side, F. Bayi and J. Walker. (If you haven't watched the 1974 Commonwealth Games 1500 final here is a link to youtube, but make sure you watch it with the sound off). Alas, Sir John is greatly diminished (he is suffering from Parkinson's disease) but Bayi is always in great shape. In fact it was the race of T. Cheruiyot in Doha which reminded me of the fabulous 1974 race. (Unfortunately there is no decent video of the 1500 m men's final in Doha, which is really a pity).


No comments:

Post a Comment