02 May, 2019

A site for the athletics fans from the 1950's and 60's

I knew the existence of this site for quite some time now but I have never linked to it. As the readers of my blog are aware of, my interest in athletics started in the 50's and revisiting what appears now as the distant past brings up the nostalgia in me. The site has the title "Once upon a time in the vest" (which I find a bit curious, since the word "vest" is for me of typical british usage and the author is clearly american), and the pun-reference to "Once upon a time in the west" makes things even more bizarre, since the western in question is an italian one.


Be that as it may, the blog is great. I was reminded of its existence when I looked for articles on Don Bragg, following his demise in February. If you remember Don Bragg and his victory in the 1960, Rome, Olympics, I suggest that you read the corresponding article in the blog. It's a great read, but it's a pity that the author does not mention the fact that R. Cruz, who was leading the event up to 4.55 m, was jumping with a fibreglass pole. (His one miss at 4.55 m turned out to be fatal, and he finished just outside the medals).


No comments:

Post a Comment