20 December, 2018

A great article by J. Mulkeen

In my post "Who is the best decathlete?" I was linking to an article by J. Mulkeen who was comparing five of the greatest decathletes of our times: Eaton, Sebrle, Dvorak, O'Brien and Thompson. This post of mine was an occasion to talk about D. O'Brien, D. Karpov and Yang Chuan-kwang. 

Well, Mulkeen has gone back to his analysis, adding the recent world recordman, K. Mayer, to what he calls a virtual contest.



I recommend that you visit his blog and read the post in detail.

For me what is interesting is that Mayer takes the lead only after the 8th event (but then we know that Mayer is a second-day guy). And looking again at the graphic I am as always impressed by the fact that O'Brien leads up to the 8th event. Had he paid more attention to pole vault and javelin, and accepted to suffer a little bit more in the 1500 m, he would have established a world record even beyond the one of Mayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment