16 May, 2024

A great photo

While visiting the Twitter (sorry, X) page of P.J. Vazel I stumbled upon a photo that I found amazing. That was just a re-twit by Vazel. It was originally published by Joe Hale, a sports photographer, who attributed the design and alignment work to Mikeisha Kelly, another photographer. Curiously the photo does not appear on Kelly's Twitter page. I really loved that photo and I decided that I had to share it with you.


But as always I am not happy when I see an interesting photo and there are no details as to who is on the photo. You may remember that, a few years ago, I published an article on the site SomosAtletismo (now long defunct), and I had to track down the name of the athlete in one of the photos (Carmen Ramos, a spanish heptathlete). Well, the same thing happened here. The one thing I knew was that the photo was from this year's Penn Relays. Moreover a cursory inspection of the photo shows that it is a women's event. So, what I had to do was find the results. I managed to find a start list (fortunately there was a single heat of women's high hurdles).

Notice that the order is not per lane numbers but follows some strange ID. Digging deeper I could recover the results.


And comparing them to the start list I had the confirmation that it was indeed what I was looking for. Only 8 athletes figure in the results. Jailya Ash, who was going to run in lane 8 was absent, and this is what one can see in the photo, where there is nobody in lane 8. 
I don't know about you, but I can best appreciate a photo when I know what it is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment