05 January, 2019

An IAAF article on "returning stars"

Those who are following my blog have certainly noticed that I do not hesitate to criticise the IAAF for their bad decisions. However, when they do things right, I am the first one to praise them. This is one of the latter occasions. In fact, I find that recently the quality of the IAAF site has notably improved and quite often their articles are a source of inspiration for me. Just last month I linked to their Gen10 posts, a series focusing on the rising stars of athletics.

Today I am going to link to a post which launches a new series: "Nine things for 2019". I do not know how the series will turn out, but I may write something on it if I find it globally interesting. Anyhow the first, "Returning stars" post is really worth reading. Already the collage photo accompanying the article is an excellent composition.




The article is about champions who either did not compete in 2018 due to injury or who got injured very early and had to spend the rest of the season far from the stadia, and who are returning this year. And here we are talking about h best of the best: 


Wayde van Niekerk (who is coming back after his stupid rugby injury), 

Mutaz Essa Barshim (who got injured in July when attempting a world record), 
Tori Bowie (injured early in spring), 
Yohann Diniz (who suffered a stress fracture early this year), and 
Andre De Grasse (who missed the 2017 World's due to injury and whose 2018 comeback was also thwarted by illness and a new injury). 

All of them are (hopefully) making their comeback in 2019 vying for medals at this year's World Championships. I am crossing my fingers for all of them.


PS Well, after all the "Nine Things for 2019" were rather underwhelming. After the returning stars, there was a post on emerging stars, but Gen10 was much better on this point. Then came a post on the vulnerable world records (a tad optimistic), then head-to head contests  (which included Samba vs Benjamin, which I'll believe when I see it) and then technology innovations (is better tartan a "technology innovation"?). True Cross-country was somewhat interesting, but One Step Closer to Tokyo was not (how on earth could they compare the climate during the World's in Doha to that of Tokyo during the Olympics?). Then came the On the roads (so-so) and the ninth post was ... Let's Dance (downright ridiculous).
OK, let us forget the Nine Things and concentrate on the season that will be starting soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment